Points to Teach Children About Media
Tell Your Children That…
- What they see on TV, video, computer games is not real; it is fantasy, make believe.
- Guns, knives, and bullets they see on TV are not real.
Talk About Consequences of Violence
- Real-life violence causes injuries, bruises, and hurts.
- Real-life violence can make people lose friends and feel bad.
- Real-life violence can make people afraid, angry, mad, upset.
- Real guns and knives can hurt or kill people.
Talk About Heroes, Good Guys, and Bad Guys
- Who are the bad guys on TV? What do they do? Why
do they kill and hurt people?
- Who are the good guys or heroes on TV? What do they do?
- Who are the good guys or heroes in your family or
neighborhood? What do they do? Are they different
from those on TV?
- Talk about what true heroes are: people who are courageous,
brave, and do good things to help others. They do not
use violence to solve problems.